Monday, March 12, 2012

Milani Red Sparkle vs. Milani Red Sparkle

Somewhere in all the nattering on I've done over the last few months about the new Milani glitters, I mentioned that the version of Red Sparkle that showed up when the new colors were released didn't look like the old version. It's not an especially subtle difference, either; here are the bottles (old on left, new on right):



The new version has bigger glitter, but the most noticeable difference is the addition of gold. I do not know what's up with this. The image on the Milani website shows the original version, without any gold. It could be that no one let the webmaster know the formula changed. It could be that Milani is in OPI My Private Jet-style denial and is pretending the formula didn't change. It could mean the red and gold was meant to be a line extension but for some reason got bottled with an existing name.



Above, it's new on top, old below, of course. The new version is two coats while the old is one coat; both have topcoat added.



Even with two coats, there are still bare spots with the new version, which is disappointing given that it's part of the One Coat Glitter line. (The same was true of Twinkle, one of the new colors. Maybe someone at Milani proposed a Two or Three Coat Glitter line extension and got shot down but they didn't want to waste the product development time and just released the colors anyway as One Coat.)



Which version do you prefer?

24 comments:

  1. I like the gold bits in the new formula, looks really pretty, but both are pretty on their own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really weird how they changed the formula and just pretended it was the same. Or didn't. Or whatever it is that they did or didn't do. Hahaha. I think I prefer the old one without the gold, but I guess they're really just different polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The base color is the same, but not the glitters!!
    Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they're both pretty, but totally different from each other. I actually prefer the older version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one with gold glitter, simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both but I must say I almost never use glitters as a full mani! I love sponging them on the tips or on a side of the nail. Are these ones in a transparent base or do they have a reddish base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simona, they have a clear base. If you click on photos for the big version you can probably see the spaces between the glitters.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karen! I can see it in the gold & red but I wasn't sure about the only red version. I was looking for some red glitters in a clear base and I think the gold&red would work since they are bigger glitters. Now if only I could find something like Nyx Girls Dorothy but NOT in a dark base!

      Delete
  7. I am disappointed with the new "one coats". Twinkle (the blue and purple) is definitely not one coat either. I hope it is just a mix up. I LOVE the old one! One of my favorite reds ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like them both. They are definitely not the same colour, I hate it when companies re-use names!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just picked up the one with the gold glitter as I really liked the look of it...but on the nail, I'd say I like the old version better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm I like the old one better. I prefer the smaller glitters :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!
    I confess I like the new one, I have the old one, so it is neat to see something different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a dramatic change, actually I hate when brands do that, without re-naming the new polish!! I prefer the old version, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so weird that they did that! I definitely prefer the old version, it looks much prettier when worn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I much prefer the plain red version but I could definitely see myself using the one with the gold glitter in it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no! I've been dreaming of the old Red Sparkle for years now. The new one just doesn't look appealing at all. Do your local stores only carry the new version or is it possible to find both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viktorija, it's still possible to find both versions (sometimes in the very same store), but I'm not sure how long that will last. I'm thinking maybe I should grab a few of the old ones when I see them for swapping.

      Delete
  16. I actually prefer the old version. Why do polish brands do that? Just give it a different name.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I say that I don't like either one? Although I do agree its stupid to use the same name on clearly a different polish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Milani with the glitter is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the old version better. While I like the new one in the bottle on the nails it just seems a bit all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the old version better, but it's so worth having both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.