Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hip Huggers and Friends

The Maybelline denims have been showing up again at Dollar Trees around here; I thought they were all gone months ago, but evidently more turned up in a warehouse somewhere or something, because the store that's on my Claire's-Meijer-Ulta-Sally's route near work just got a bunch more. I sure wish the same would happen with the Sally Hansen glitters, which I never saw in the first place. Ah well, if I'm meant to have them, they will come to me. The reappearance of the denims inspired me to pull out one of my favorites, Hip Huggers, a beautiful blue violet creme. A couple months ago, I did a comparison post on MUA with it and a CHI that had recently come out; since then I've also picked up a Petites Color Fever that someone mentioned was a dupe for the CHI, so today I have a three-polish comparison post.

Periwinkle polish

Left to right: Petites Color Fever Periwinkle, Maybelline Express Finish Hip Huggers, CHI In Between the Sheets.


Here they are on the nail in the glare of my lightbox:

Periwinkle polish

Top to bottom: Hip Huggers, Periwinkle, Hip Huggers, In Between the Sheets.


I used three coats of all of these, over a base of Nail Tek Foundation II (which doesn't seem to work well for me in my regular manis, so I'm using it up swatching). The person who said the Petites was a dupe for In Between the Sheets was right; I had to keep checking my notes when I was putting them on because I could not tell which was which. They're both a bit lighter than Hip Huggers and tend a tiny bit more toward the blue in blue violet, but are as close to Hip Huggers as anything I've found so far. In regular room light, the differences are even less noticeable than in the lightbox:

Periwinkle polish

I think either the CHI or the Petites would make a great substitute if you're wanting Hip Huggers and haven't been able to find it. I think the CHI is a limited edition, though I have seen a few at Ulta recently.

4 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!! Love that dusty grey blue color and it look great on you. Love seeing your comparisons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shade. For me they are dupes and I'd only keep one. The cheapest! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they all look great- looking at my swatches makes me wanting more and more of these blue-ish greys (even though I was never a big fan of greys in the first place ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this shade.
    Hope you find those Sally Hansen glitters.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.